Trombonist Niels-Ole Bo Johansen has been teaching at The Royal Academy of Music in Aarhus since 1989 - in 1995 he became associate professor and in 2000 he was appointed to a full professorship.
From 1980 – 86 he was a bandsman in various army bands and from 1986 – 2000 he was co-principal trombonist in the Aarhus Symphony Orchestra.
Niels-Ole Bo Johansen keeps a busy schedule performing, teaching and conducting around the world with his various programs and musical combinations such as solo trombone recitals, trombone and computer recitals, trombone and organ duo with professor Ulrik Spang-Hanssen since 1984, The Århus Sinfonietta and trombone-piano duo with professor Erik Kaltoft.
As a performer Niels-Ole Bo Johansen has performed over most of the world and has given numerous masterclasses among other places in Holland, Germany, Spain, France, UK, USA, China, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Turkey and Romania.
As a conductor he has conducted The Royal Academy Symphonic Wind Band as well as the Royal Academy Brass Ensemble for numerous years + various amateur as well as professional brass bands/ensembles and wind bands.
Niels-Ole Bo Johansen has performed and lectured at several of the International Trombone Associations Festivals and hosted the festival in 2009 in his hometown Aarhus, Denmark.
He is co-founder and served for a long period as chairman of the Aarhus Sinfonietta, 2nd Vice President of the International Trombone Association (2011-2014) and member of the International Trombone Festival board (2008-2017).
When not playing trombone, conducting or teaching Niels-Ole enjoys being with his family in their old school house on the country side or in their cottage at Læsø where he resides with his wife and 3 children + various amounts of pets.
Niels-Ole Bo Johansen is a Courtois soloist and clinician
- Alpha & Omega (1994) (PACD 87)
- Duo Concertante (1995) (CLASSCD 122)
- Trombone and Electronics (2002) (CLASSCD 452)
- Bent Lorentzen Concertos (2004) (Dacapo)
- Niels Viggo Bentzon: Chamber Music for brass instruments (2006) (CLASSCD 722)
- Per Nørgård: Works for Brass (2006) (CLASSCD 730)
- Hans Henrik Nordstrøm: Nueage d´automne (2007) (Dacapo)
- Per Nørgård: It´s all his fancies that (2010) (CDK 1016)
- On the Edge: (2010) (CDK 1046)
- Wayne Siegel Terra (2011) (Dacapo)
- Etudes (2011) (CDK 1058-60) (tripple CD)
- Identity problems: (2017)(CDK 1172)
- Amalgam: (2017)(CDK 1173)
- The French Connection: (2018)(CDK 1174)